This weekend saw several of Michigan's top commitments and targets flock to Columbus Ohio for the NIKE combine today, as well as the Elite 11 QB camp yesterday. Here's a quick rundown of the standout players.
- Shane Morris (2013): UM fans should be feeling even better about his early commitment now, because Shane turned in one of the best performances of the weekend, regardless of age/class. I believe he won the strongest arm award, and was a consensus top 3 QB along with Gunner Kiel and Zeke Pike.
- Gunner Kiel: He had a pretty good weekend and looked accurate in all his throws; pretty strong arm too. Outperformed Zeke Pike yesterday for sure, and looks like he'll remain as the #1 QB for 2012.
- Ondre Pipkins: Everyone is raving about Ondre's performance today, as he apparently dominated O-Lineman from the word go. It's lucky that Michigan got in there reasonably early, because he'll probably draw in some big offers now.
- James Ross: By all accounts had a really solid day, and looked very good in all aspects of the LB position. Shame RJS couldn't make it, they could have put on a real show in the LB corps.
- Sheldon Day: Not as impressive as Pipkins, but still had a very good day. Landing Day and Pipkins as the two DTs in this class would be insanely good; but then again, Jaleel Johnson has had good camps too. Any two of those three!
- Terry Richardson: Was in attendance, but I'm not sure if he actually competed in events.
- Mario Ojemudia: Very athletic, did very well in drills. If he puts on the muscle over the next year, he could be a really good one in years to come.
Overall it seemed like a good day for Michigan's commits, and also for prospects that they are in a strong position for, Pipkins and Day. The future at QB is also looking ridiculously good, regardless of whether Gunner Kiel comes to Ann Arbor.
These events are a great chance for UM commits to not along show their skills and boost their rankings, but also to recruit other top prospects.